Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tomelilla Chair










Hauled this home from Chicago IKEA almost 10 years ago. The slipcover was very dirty. I didn't want to wash it because I was certain it would shrink. So in October I marked it up with a white crayon, and cut it up to make a pattern for a new slipcover. To make matters more difficult, I cut up a pile of jeans I'd been saving and pieced them together. This project took about 4 Saturdays to do: 1. make the pattern, 2. cutting it out, 3. sewing it together, 4. making the cushion. I can't even be objective. Is it good looking? I'm not even sure. But it's soft to the touch and the extra pockets on the side house the remote.

9 comments:

FrugalJo said...

I.Love. It. Really. It's great... How much for one for an Ektorp? :)

Anonymous said...

you are incredible!! crazy, yes... but incredible! :)

Judy Sell said...

Laura, the chair silouette is really nice with the classic denim+topstiching. I think is looks great. And best yet: "ALL DONE". oxoxjduy

Lucy said...

I think it looks fantastic! Very well done :-)

Laurel said...

Such an awesome job and very attractive ... and inspiring. The fabric on a chair that I love is falling apart and I haven't been able to find any good-to-go slipcover *anywhere*. You've inspired me to just go for it and make my own.

Anonymous said...

This is just the very BEST, cannot wait to get started on mine, hope I can do it on a recliner (that no longer reclines, lol)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the same issue. Any way you could e-mail me the pattern? design@zikit.org

LAURA said...

Dear Zikit:
I need to keep the pattern so I can make more slip covers.
i cut up the old slipcover and that became the pattern. before you cut it up, draw white lines across seams in white crayon or chalk (so you will remember how pieces fit together-see photo in blog). also name the piece and UP arrows might help too. cut right on the seam lines and add seam allowances as you cut it out. be generous-in the photo you can see it didn't fit in the back and i had to add the pleat.

i don't know if BEMZ still makes slipcovers:
http://theklubb.blogspot.com/2009/07/tomelilla-chair-update.html
http://www.bemz.com/
sometimes IKEA slipcovers come up on EBAY, so do a search there.
thanks for reading THE KLUBB!

Unknown said...

Tawazen Interiors is a firm committed to strong personal relationships as the foundation of our work and our passion for design grows as we travel the world, meeting people and gathering new ideas and inspiration. interior design Tampa